Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

1.5 year old model 790 range. During oven pre-heat, heard

Customer Question

1.5 year old model 790 range. During oven pre-heat, heard a short buzz and a pop. Reset breaker in garage. Have lites now. Display is locked showing "8". Oven, Preheat and Door Locked lites on. Cooktop locked lite is off. Any advice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 6 years ago.

you need a new control ,

Can i get your complete model number it will look like(NNN) NNN-NNNNyou will need to put the decimal after the third number or our server will block it and show all XXX`s

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where can I find the complete number. Did the control cause the overload?

yes the control could have shorted .

and If you open the oven door it should be on the face frame of the cavity or just below the door (if you have a drawer)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Could whatever caused it to short, in turn, cause a new one to short as soon as I plug it in?

I need more numbers then that!! AT least 4 more number
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry

790.9641940C

Does this look like what I need?

Clock/timer,electronic ,es345

Number:
316418307
Size:
8.25L x 3.00W x 2.75H

now correct number but last digit is a 0 not a letter C and you power relay control numberNNN-NN-NNNN

Here is a link for the part .

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?pa rtNumber=316429300&productGroupId=0022&supplierId=628&brandId=x&documentId=R0408105&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=x&keyId=00097A&pageId=00001&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=79096419400&subCompDesc=Backguard&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-RANGE&blt=11

normally it is a relay on the control that causes the short , not something in the oven causing the control to go out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No sir, it is definately a C...

Theres no mistake there. I found it on the sears site. Heres the link. Its #20. Its the part that sits directly behind the overlay. What do you think?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubCo mp.pd?modelNumber=7909641940C&productCategoryId=0124111&brandId=0582&brandDescription=KENMORE&modelName=ELECTRIC-RANGE&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=BACKGUARD&documentId=R0707182&blt=06

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Did I send this link? I may have gave you a different one... This is it!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=7909641940C&productCategoryId=0124111&brandId=0582&brand Description=KENMORE&modelName=ELECTRIC-RANGE&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=BACKGUARD&documentId=R0707182&blt=06

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dont know if you answered my last question or not but I figured it out. Same board for either model number.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How does this work? I dont mind paying at all but I am the cautious sort... I want to see if your rite or not befor I pay. Is my deposit linked to you? Can I contact YOU again regarding this line of questioning in the future?

deposit is not linked to me .

And you do have to realize I can only guess since I `m not there with the unit .

Even if you where to call a servicer they will not guarantee anything ,until the part is installed and the unit is working then they will guarantee the part only .

And yes you can contact me again ,just keep the post open and don`t close it .

No smoke and mirror ,but NO crystal ball either.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Man, its gonna be who knows how long befor I get my hands on this part... Wheres the "pay" button?

I will send it to you it will be in the upper right hand corner of this post .

thank you and have a Happy New year.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im dumb>>> Dont see anything in your post that sez "pay" or anything like that. Do I hit one of the green accept buttons? They're all over the page...
Yes it is the Accept button Sorry about that!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have a good 1!
you too thank you again , be safe