Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have an Amana LW8203W/L2 Top-Load washing machine. About

Customer Question

I have an Amana LW8203W/L2 Top-Load washing machine. About 15 years old. It just started making very load, intermittent screaching noises. I pulled the front panel and can see that the belt looks very worn/cracked on the inside surface and there is 'rubber dust' -- I am assuming the belt is breaking-down and making this sound.

Question: is the sound most likely from the worn belt?
Question: could there be something else failing? (like a bearing or something?)
Question: if it is a belt replacement only - what approximate cost is this by a professional? And is this something you recommend to a relatively handy homeowner?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
it will just be the belt and its slipping on the drive pully and as far as hireing someone to have it done it should not cost over $100 for part and labor / thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good to hear it is the belt. I am reasonably mechanical and would like to replace the belt on my own if possible. Is there a document or instructions somewhere online that will help me? I searched and found the replacement belt online - which is $12.

Thanks for your guidance.

the best way to do this one is to unhook the belt from the drive pully and then remove the screws from the base of the motor and set out, remove the screws in the pump, pull of and replace the belt / thanks