Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have an old Tappan Deluxe gas stove (Series 60 I believe).

Customer Question

I have an old Tappan Deluxe gas stove (Series 60 I believe). The model # XXXXX "NOV 64" and the lot # XXXXX "1" according to the sterling silver stamped plate above the right side oven control knobs (behind the right door).

Even though this is the model info (directly from the stove), no appliance parts store recognize this number. We've tried "NOV641" "NOV 64-1" "NOV64" "NOV 64" etc.

Do you of any old (around 1940-1950) Tappan Book where I can lookup my model # (or perhaps search using my stove's Serial #)?

I can't order parts unless I have a valid model # (or part #).

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Michael in San Diego
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
the reason you cant find any info on this unit is because of age mm the NOV64 is the month and year but due to the serial its was really built in May of 1956 and a manufactor quits info on a appliance when they reach 15 years of age but some of the parts even on that stove being this old can be gotten ,, the safety gas valve for one but you have to take it off and carry it in to a appliance parts dealer to let them match it up with newer model but as far as a parts list or manual you are out of luck ,, sorry but thats the way these work / thanks and have a good new years
Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why would they build it in May 1956 but stamp November 1964 on the plate (that's an 8 year lag -- it doesn't make sense)?

My question was "Are there any books/resources out there that I can use to research info, parts, whatever on my particular stove?" If so, what are they and where can I find them? For example, what resource are you using to know that my Serial # XXXXX a May 1956 build date???

Bottom-line.... since NOV64 is a date (not a true Model #), what MODEL NUMBER should I use when trying to order parts and/or search for info on my stove?

it may have set in the factory as a demo for years before stamping it to sale ,, manufactors will take the best and use to sell others and then when they are ready to sell the last of the groups they make them and sell to get rid of the last and besides that i gave the wrong date ,, it was May 1966 not 56 so your was built in 64 and was built 2 years before it was set up to be sold
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

May 1966? How are you coming up with this date?

Assuming my stove is a 1966 Tappan Deluxe, WHAT MODEL NUMBER SHOULD IT BE (the manufacturer's plate says NOV 64 but that isn't a true model #)? SO WHAT MODEL NUMBER SHOULD I USE FOR THAT YEAR TAPPAN DELUXE (given my serial # XXXXX 244856)?

And again, WHAT RESOURCE are you using to know that my serial # XXXXX 244856 was a May 1966 Tappan Deluxe (Series 60)?

if you look at the serial number the last two numbers is the month and year and the model number would be on a metal tag on the stove on the bottom left side or on the back if there are one and even if you find you they will not have info on it after its this old / sorry

Edited by Larry on 12/31/2009 at 10:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your info doesn't make sense.

The features on this stove look very much like an EARLY 1950s Tappan Deluxe. One blog that I read stated that the foot pedal release for the broiler was introduced in 1952.

The clock on my stove doesn't have a timer. Therefore, I would suspect it is OLDER than some of the other stoves I am reading about.

How does your serial breakdown work for the months of October (10), November (11), and December (12)? I don't think the info you are giving me is correct -- this is NOT a mid-1960s stove.

So again, are there any Tappan Manuals/Books/Resources out there that I can visually compare my stove to (so as to truly identify the REAL MODEL #)?

dont believe if you like but i have been in this line of work for over 30 years and the foot paddle was used in the 50's. 60s and 70s / thanks and have a good day