Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a whirlpool stove with a PF error on the screen. I

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool stove with a "PF" error on the screen. I can use the ranges, but I am unable to use the oven. I do not get any response from the stove when I press any button on the panel. Is the problem the push button panel or the pwb control board. I would appreciated any kind of advice.

Thanks,

Warren G.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like your Control board is damaged......It is not hard for these board to be damaged from a power failure...It happens very often....Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you are saying that i should replace the control board that sits right behind the push button panel? what causes this "pf" error to happen? would it be worth it to fix it or get a new stove? And should I buy a service plan for the stove if I do decide to fix it?
Correct...What most likley happen is you had a power surge or power failure....Have you tried resetting the breaker ..?....If that does not help then yes you would need to replace the clock...It depends upon what overall condition the oven is in as far as replacing....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean the breaker in the home power box? The stove is in pretty good condition and I only had it for two years now. How sure are you that changing the control board will fix it.....90%?

99 %......Yes flip the breaker at the fuse panel....Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i replaced the control board and I was able to reset the "pf" fault but i am still not able to turn the oven on. I also tried flipping the breaker fuse . Is there anything else I need to do.
You replaced the board less than 3.5 hours...?...Check to see if there is a thermal fuse that may have blown....What is the model number of the stove...?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was really easy to replace the board (six screws)and i live right next to the appliance parts store. The stove is a whirlpool model GY396LXPB02. Where would the thermal fuse be located?

You do not get any read out on the display at all..?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just the time shows. my wife just informed me that she also saw fault codes "f1 and "f2" when it first broke. but then it finally stayed at the "pf" fault.

Is she positive on F1 F2 Not E1 F2....?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she says she is positive, but I don't think she looks 100%.
Lol..Ok well if it was a f1 error and you already replaced the ERC...Then you need to test the sensor....If you are still getting the f1 f2....Then i would suspect the keypad....When you replaced the ERC did you make sure the keypad was connected properly...?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did make sure the keypad was connected but where is that sensor located and how do i test it? I have a multimeter-do I check for continuity?
Yes it is located inside the oven...Long metal probe mounted to the back wall...Sometimes you can remove the two 1/4 screws and pull it inside then disconnect it....Other wise you would have to pull the unit out remove the back panel to access....Once you have it disconnected ...It should read 1000-1100 ohms at room temp (70)....Also make sure you are getting 220 at the wall outlet...If you are only getting one leg then you will get the clock and no heat...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm going to check it out now.

ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i got 1.108K ohms on the sensor. when i plugged the stove in and reset the breaker fuse, an e1 f2 error came on.
Try disconnecting the keypad...Power it back up and see if the Error comes back up.If it does not (and it really should not because you replaced the ERC already)Then reconnect the keypad....If the code comes up then i would say the Kepad is your problem.....Normally i would have a spare sensor hand just to eliminate it being the problem...Theres been times where the sensor tests ok but is still found to be the problem...Also recheck all wire connections ...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Bob, I think I got the e1 f2 error because I didn't plug the keyboard in good. Now that I have it plugged in good, I only get the pf error with or without the keyboard plugged. When I first installed the keyboard, I was able to clear the pf error by holding down the cancel button. Now it won't let me do that. Is the new ERC board broken?
If you have verified full 220 power ..Very good possibility...There is really no way to test it either...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got 240 volts at outlet. Would that make a difference?
I would recheck that....If you are getting 240 then you might have damaged the new ERC...You should have two legs of 110