Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool Washer WTW5200SQ0 Water keeps running and will

Whirlpool Washer WTW5200SQ0

Water keeps running and will not fill to continue cycle. Most often happens when starting rinse cycle but does happen at the very start when doing wash.

The only way I work around it is by fiddling with the drain hose and eventually it fills up. I had a friend over to look at it and the drain hose is fine. We actually took the pump out to see if it was clogged from underneath the washer and it looks fine.

It would appear it fills water to around the level of a small load and just continues running water as it drains out.

What are my options here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
the problem is the way your drain hose is. You will need to zip tie it so that it's not sticking into your drain pipe further than 6 inches. If it goes down too far it will create a siphon line and start siphoning the water out as it drains. This is a very common issue and very easy to fix.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We sawed off a portion of the hose but I just checked and it did appear to go into the drain pipe more than 6 inches.

The hose is rigid enough and the drain pipe small enough that I can pull it out enough were it rests just inside the drain pipe; will that suffice without actuall tieing it somewhere? I.E. is the goal just to not have more than 6 inches of the drain hose going into the pipe?

Does it being airtight or not airtight have any effect?

And else could be the issue if this does not work?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
yes, that will work fine, the real reason to ziptie it is so that the force of the water won't accidently push the hose out of the stand pipe and flood your wash room. And there is nothing else that could be your issue, this will fix it 100% of the time.

And you do NOT want to make it air tight, that will also cause a siphon effect, It needs to breath.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.