MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician

My LG ( WMO532HW ) Front load Washer will not spin or drain.

Customer Question

My LG ( WMO532HW ) Front load Washer will not spin or drain. It sets there and rocks back a forth a tiny bit, but seems stuck.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 6 years ago.

No drain means no spinning. Check pump trap for debris first if you have not done that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Meaning I am supposed to do what, and where?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 6 years ago.
Pump trap is something you should know about and check regularly- it is behind the door at the bottom. Manual mentions it as well. Drain water from small tube before opening trap otherwise water will be all over.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 6 years ago.
Can provide more info tomorrow if this does not solve the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Says some has posted ahead of me and will not let me send you the answer to your advice.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will pay you the $24 even if we do not get this fixed tonight.

Forgot to tell you, the message "LE" shows too.

Did as you advised.

Drained the little black tube after taking off screw out cap. At first nothing came out even though I could see lots of water in washer. Sucked on tube and a little water started coming out. Water increase and finally got all water out (about 6 gallons).

Then checked the larger plastic black trap. There was stuff in it. Looked like a piece of a tongue depresser, or a piece of a wood nail file. Some fuzz to. Could rest of depresser or nail file still be somewhere in machine causing a blockage?

When this problem started I was washing 2 King size sheets and 2 King size pillow cases. They were very heavy when water soake, and the top sheet had a lot of cat hair on it.

Can there be a blockage somewhere in the machine, not related to the little black capped tube and plastic trap? If there is a blockage somewhere else, how do I find it?

Machine is empty now. Should I try to run the machine to test it while empty?

Can there be a blockage somewhere else in the machine stopping it from draining and spinning, besides the Pump trap area?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 6 years ago.
LE means that the sensor has failed on the motor. It is called a 'hall sensor' and is easily replaced and inexpensive- it senses the rotation. Call LG for it. This is a very common failure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Called LG and they had me do a restart, but it did not help. When I put last load it it made a whirling/Grinding sound, before it quit and showed LE. LG recommended a couple local places to get a service call, and finally gave me the parts place too. This still sound like a "hall sensor to you. Did you get your money?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 6 years ago.

Sensor is bad, and yes, you accepted. thanks