Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

my kenmore water softner likes to get stuck in the recharge

Customer Question

my kenmore water softner likes to get stuck in the recharge mode and just use water like crazy. I little motor that turns the gears gets hung and and just clicks without moving. I've replaced that motor about 8 months ago and it fixed temporarily.
It's a Kenmore Dir plus (I think).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.

That is a 'motorized valve' and it is rpobably gummed up a bit. It is fairly easy to take apart and clean if you've done this sort of thing before. You could clean it with CLR and put it back together and it will be fine. Here is a diagram of the valve:

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took that valve apart and it wasn't really gummed up or dirty at all. I did clean the parts and put it back together and still have the same result. The motor just clicks repeatedly and eventually the screen gives me an ERR01 message.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
You've got a bad valve there. It's probably got a gear messed up or something in the mechanical gears. I would recommend replacing the valve. This will continue if you don't replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
looking closer there are metal shaving that I'm guessing are coming from the "cam and gear part". (I've been checking the part manual) Can the gears get worn off? Will replacing that gear fix it?
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
I suppose, if you could find the gear, where do you think you are going to find that? I suspected that there are worn gears as I mentioned in my last post. As I said, replace the valve if you want trouble free service.
I wish those kinds of things were available to replace, but they are not.
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Check searspartsdirect.com...they sell replacement parts individually.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
You found the gear you need there? If so, I'm impressed!
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
I stand corrected! That is awesome service right there to be able to get fight down to the screw. Thanks, I've used that site before but somehow had forgotten. Thanks for sharing...Craig