John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

We are trying to convert a Frigidaire range from natural gas

Customer Question

We are trying to convert a Frigidaire range from natural gas to lp. The model number is XXXXX The correct part is GRLP3. The store said that this part number changed from and that it used to be GRLP2 and sold us the GRLP2 but only a portion of the orifices seem to be the right size. Do both parts have the same size orifices in them?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The orifice holes for propane are 1/2 the size used for natural gas. This includes pilot orifices. Make sure all the orifices are sized for propane use, or you'll be using twice the gas, which will cause soot and overheating.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We bought a conversion kit. They did not have the right part. They thought the part they gave us was the same. They thought the number just changed but I'm not sure that is correct. One of the orifices converts 16,000 BTU natural gas to 14,000 BTU LP. The burner on the range is 17,000 BTU natural gas. Will it damage it to use a different size orifice?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
There will be no problem as long as the BTU's are less than the original. I suggest you install the new parts, and light the burners, one at a time. The burner flame will tell you what you need to know. If the flame is too high and yellow, you'll need to reduce the orifice size. If it's too low, you can drill it out.