Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

F-21 error on Whirlpool duet front end loader washing machine

F-21 error on Whirlpool duet front end loader washing machine (Model WFW9600TW01). Both exterior and interior (to pump) drain lines, pump impeller (removed tested w/ 120v – operational), pump filter, and the black flex hose to tub (with ball style float) are all clean/clear of debris. Looked and felt up into tub and observed no visible objects/debris. Still getting the F-21 error message. Any ideas/suggestions? Can something be jammed inside the tub itself? If so, can it be disassembled (how) or does it require a service call?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi as you know F21 refers to a long drain. Basically means that water is not pumping out quick enough. If all the drain lines have been checked for blockages and restrictions the manufacturer recommends the pump is replaced. Some times the impeller can become damaged or the motor which can cause the pump to work slower then it should causing this error code. If you took off the hose from the tub to the pump and found nothing then I doubt there is a blockage in the drum(it would have moved into the drain filter) I would replace the pump and you will be all set. Mike