Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a kenmore 80 series washer model 110. The spin cycle

I have a kenmore 80 series washer model 110. The spin cycle has gone crazy like something has broken inside. It is not tight but spins very wild. Does the top of this unit come off so i can look down over the top to see if something has broken
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Are you saying that the wash basket itself is loose? Please give me the rest of the model number after the "110" Please try and give more details about your spin problem and we'll get to the bottom of this. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the whole basket seems to be loose. the numbers after the 110 are 27802690
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
If its just the basket that is loose, not the whole tub and the basket feels loose when you move it by hand, you may have a problem with the basket drive block or possibly the basket drive assembly itself. To inspect the drive block, remove the cabinet from the fram by following the directions below to the point of cabinet removal ONLY (notw that your console screws may be located underneath side-end covers that just snap right off from the top):
graphic

Now remove the tub ring located at #8 in the diagram, remove the cap from the agitator, remove the agitator screw # XXXXX in diagram,remove the agitator itself and inspect the top of the drive block. It may look like this if its worn along with your excessive basket play :
graphic

If the drive block is bad, you will now need to remove the entire basket by removing the spanner nut, removing the basket then replacing the block.

Here is the diagram for the upper part of the basket drive system on your machine as well as the other upper basket and tub parts mentioned. The drive block is # XXXXX in this diagram:
graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
after reading your response I guess it would be that the whole tub is loose. I can move the entire inside about 6 inches in every direction. what are my options??
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Your ability to move the ENTIRE tub/basket assembly is normal. You WILL be able to move that in EVERY direction all the way to all sides of the cabinet on this style washer. In THIS case, you MUST make sure the machine is level and stable by placing the machine in its normal location, THEN simply pull forward on the top of the console and tilt the machine up/forward , off of the rear legs which have a self - adjusting mechanism built in to them about 6 inches, then simply let the machine rest back on these legs. Check the rear legs to ensure they are actually loose in the frame to allow this mechanism to work. Now, the machine should be sitting level/stable on ALL FOUR legs. At this point, physics will ensure relative centering of the tub/basket assembly during spin. However, if during spin the TUB assembly still contacts the cabinet, you MUST lift the lid and redistribute your load to ensure the basket will spin without too much load offset which will cause exccesive out of balance conditions. This is the nature of the beast with all top-loaders. You can also remove the cabinet as described above and make sure the rear centering spring at the bottom/rear has not broken or become disconnected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize about the redistribution of the load but even a light load pounds against the side something seems broken
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Please read my last response. To determine if there is an actual mechanical problem causing this, you will need to INSPECT the probable parts by removing the cabinet. Here is another diagram which will help you find the suspect spring as well as the other tub suspension springs once the cabinet is off. It cannot tell you what is broken from here and can only help you based on YOUR observations, you must follow the instructions and check the parts.
graphic
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.