Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

Why Is The Kenmore 80 Model 110 Washer Spinning Wildly?

I have a Kenmore 80 series washer model 110. The spin cycle is abnormal where it is spinning wildly. It sounds like something has broken inside and does not seem tight.

Does the top of this unit come off so that I can look down to check if something is broken?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Is the wash basket itself loose?

Please provide the rest of the model number after the "110" and also provide more details about the spin problem for a proper diagnosis.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the entire basket seems to be loose.

The number is *****

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

If it is just the basket that is loose where it can be moved by hand and not the entire tub, the problem is likely with the basket drive block or possibly the basket drive assembly itself.

To inspect the drive block, remove the cabinet from the frame by following the directions given below to the point of cabinet removal ONLY. The console screws may be located underneath the side-end covers that just snap right off from the top:
Dismantling Kenmore 80 series washer

1. Remove the tub ring located at #8 in the diagram.

2. Remove the cap from the agitator, remove the agitator screw # ***** in diagram,

3. Remove the agitator itself and inspect the top of the drive block.

It may look like this if its worn along with your excessive basket play :
Excessive wear on the backset drive shaft

If the drive block is bad, you will now need to remove the entire basket by removing the spanner nut, removing the basket then replacing the block.

Here is the diagram for the upper part of the basket drive system on your machine as well as the other upper basket and tub parts mentioned.

The drive block is # ***** in this diagram:
diagram for the upper part of the basket drive system on a Kenmore 80 series washer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Based on your response I think the entire Kenmore washer tub is probably loose. I can move the entire inside about 6 inches in every direction.

What are the options?

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Your ability to move the entire tub/basket assembly is normal and it is possible to move it in every direction on all sides of the cabinet on this Kenmore washer.

In this case, you should first ensure the machine is level and stable by placing it at its normal location. Next simply pull forward on the top of the console and tilt the machine up/forward, off of the rear legs. They have a self-adjusting mechanism built in to them about 6 inches. Simply let the machine rest back on these legs.

Check the rear legs to ensure they are actually loose in the frame to allow this mechanism to work. Now, the machine should be sitting level/stable on all four legs. At this point, physics will ensure relative centering of the tub/basket assembly during spin. However, if during spin the tub assembly still contacts the cabinet, you should lift the lid and redistribute your load to ensure the basket will spin without too much load offset as this can cause excessive out of balance conditions. This is the nature of most top-loaders including Kenmore washers.

You can also remove the cabinet as described above and make sure the rear centering spring at the bottom/rear has not broken or become disconnected.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I realize about the redistribution of the load however even a light load pounds against the side making it seem like something has broken.

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

To determine if there is an actual mechanical problem causing this, you will need to inspect the probable parts by removing the cabinet. Below is another diagram which will help you find the suspect spring as well as the other tub suspension springs once the cabinet is off. One cannot tell you what is broken from here but can only help you based on your observations. You must follow the instructions and check the parts:
 finding the suspect spring on a Kenmore 80 series washer

Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.