How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Tech Larry Your Own Question
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 19183
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Tech Larry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Microwave is on but wont heat up.

Customer Question

Microwave is on but won't heat up.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
set a glass of water inside and run it for about 1-2 minutes and tell me if you see any sparking or if you hear a humm coming from inside please
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did humm, no sparks
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
the hi-voltage transformer is whats humming and it will have to be replaced to fix the unit and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you with the model number but you will want to get a appliance tech to come out and do it and this can cost around $300 for part and labor and you need to read this before you tey getting into it yourself / thanks

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven. thanks

Related Appliance Questions