Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

My washing machine does not spin the clothes as dry as it should

My washing machine does not spin the clothes as dry as it should or used to...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 7 years ago.
What brand is this? Do you have the model #?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
GE 40225, it is 2 1/2 years old
Is this a front load?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
Hello I am here to assist you. Could you please reverify the model number? It should be on the rim of the washer where the lid closes. Also, is this a US model?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes it is us, model 40225, I believe

Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, that number does not come up as a model number. However, 99.9% of the time the problem for not spinning out the clothes is a clogged or partially clogged drain pump. You need to check both the inlet and outlet of the drain pump for anything stuck or clogged inside causing the vanes to not spin freely. To do that take off the inlet and outlet hose to the drain pump.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where are these hoses? Inside or outside? Could it be "clogged" by extreme cold weather?
Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
They are inside the machine. To access the inside you need a good stiff putty or table knife. Where the front of the washer meets the top of the washer about 2" in both the left and right side there are clips that hold the top to the front. Push in on these clips firmly and pop out the front of the washer then you will see the inside of the washer. From there you will see 2 black hoses going into a small pump. Those are the hoses and pump I am talking about.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we were able to remove the drains. is there a way to remove the propeller from thepump to get the lint out? or should we just "floss" it with fishing line?
Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
Hello, sorry it took so long. There is a way to take the pump apart to clean it but usually when that happens after you put it back together it will leak. The best thing to do is to use a long pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out with them.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.