MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

My maytag dishwasher MDB7100AWB will not start. The 3 sec.

My maytag dishwasher MDB7100AWB will not start. The 3 sec. light flashes three times and stops. The light stays on. None of the wash cycles respond.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 7 years ago.
If you press and hold it for about 5 seconds then try and start a cycle what happens?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I press the 3 sec.button for 5 seconds and then the wash button, it does not respond. The 3 sec. light flashes 5 times (not three times). If I press the wash button 5 seconds, nothing happens. If I press the wash button 5 seconds and then the 3 sec. button, nothing happens.
If you look closely is there a little pad lock picture next to the light that is on, on the control panel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, there is an ouline of a padlock beneath the light. Printed on this "padlock" is 3 sec.

This should be the control lock. Try pressing it for about 10 sec.

Did you have a power outage before this happend?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Pressing the 3 sec. button for 10 sec. or 30 sec., did not work. If I press any of the wash cycle buttons, the light will flash 5 times and then stay on continuously.

No, we did not have a power failure prior to this event.

Does the lock light flash when you press it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the lock light does not flash.
If it does not respond by flashing it usely means that button is bad. It would by unlikely that that would be the only bad one. Can you push all of the buttons one at a time and see if all the others make the light flash, please.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nine of the ten buttons will make the control lock light flash five times. The auto-clean button does not make it flash. Are you saying that the control lock switch may be defective ?
Yes that is what is sounds like. But most of the time it is a more used button or more than one button not working. Can you try turning off power to the unit for 15 minutes and see if that will reset the control. Also can you get me the serial number off of the tag. Your unit may be under recall and I can check that for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Flipped the breaker to reset. This did not solve the problem.

The SN is 15440328YH. This unit had a recall in Feb. 2007 for a potential rinse aid leak. I believe a new control unit was installed at that time.

Your control and touch pad are one part.

Click here for parts

Remove power and open the door. Remove all the screws that face up on the door. Pull the two halves of the door. Look for the release tabs on the back of the control cover. Replace the control.

Thank you. If you had the recall done two years ago it is unlikely that Maytag will helpl you. It has been too long since the rework.