Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

My GE icemaker works but the auger doesnt turn anymore when

My GE icemaker works but the auger doesn't turn anymore when I press the front panel button to dispense ice. The front panel works fine for dispensing water. The auger assembly will rotate freely and the moter spindle can be turned by hand. It acts like there is no signal getting to the auger motor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
when you push the lever for ice do you hear it click?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. the solenoid in the auger motor compartment does not appear to click.
do you hear a click in the dispenser on the door when you press the lever
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is a little noise in the door when you press the cube or crushed button. This appears due to the little ice door getting opened. About 5 seconds after releasing the button, the little ice door closes which makes a second noise.
you have a bad auger motor in the backside of the freezer that has the fork on it that turns the auger in the bucker ,, the part number is XXXXX which cost about $115 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,, its number 369 in this picture / thanks and have a great holiday ,, Larry
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are two items in the auger motor assembly. One is the motor. The other is a solenoid which operates a door that directs the ice directly down the chute or into the crusher blades. The solenoid does not appear to click when crushed ice is requested. This would seem to be independent of the motor. If the motor is bad, then why doesn't the solenoid click?
are you talking about the solenoid in the freezer next to the auger motor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, the solenoid rotates a metal rod that runs to the front of the ice basket and opens a flap there that either directs the ice directly down the chute or directs it into the crusher blades that are also at the front of the ice basket.

Is there a way that I can use a voltmeter to measure that voltage is indeed getting to the auger motor? I don't want to spend a lot on an auger motor to find out that it is really a relay somewhere that isn't delivering the voltage to the motor.

yes ,, pull the auger motor assy out and unplg the two wires ,, set your meter to 115v and stick a lead into each wire, hold the light switch in and press the lever for ice and it should get 110v
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I don't get 115v at the motor, then what would the problem be? Does the front panel board deliver the voltage to the motor, or does it go through a relay somewhere, e.g. on the main control board?
if you dont het power to the motor then yes you will need to replace the display board on the dispenser panel on the door ,, part number WR55X10581 and it cost just under $100
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Two more questions and I'll be satisfied.

1. How do you get the display panel off the front door? There don't appear to be any screws holding it in place. My assumption is that you remove it from the front, but I can't figure out how.

2. Is there a place where I can get a wiring schematic of the fridge showing how everything is connected? This would enable me to trace back the fault and guarantee I replaced the right part.

Sorry for taking so much of your time but I want to make sure I replace the right part. These GE parts are ridiculously expensive.

no problem ,, here is a picture to help and you snap the display assy out from the front and replace the board amd the only schematic that is anywhere would be behind the toe grill at the bottom front of the fridge

graphic
i will be offline for a while to take my insulin and rest up so if you need more infomation please ask now or i will be back later / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it part 11 or part 93 that snaps out. I don't want to pry on the wrong thing.
number 93 in the picture and then the board is on it to swap out
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service