Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner IV dishwasher is locked up . The

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner IV dishwasher is "locked up". The normal light is flashing and where the number of minutes reads out is two horizontal lines. The machine may have been interupted by a power outage.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi, try hitting and holding the heated dry button. The button might not say heated dry on your model but it will be similar. Hit and hold it for 10 seconds until the light goes out. If the light is blinking 7 times then pause then blinking 7 times let me know this requires a different combination. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My machine has "high temp scour" and "air dry". Neither one worked. Also, the normal light is blinking steady.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok the air dry would be the button you need to hold for 10 seconds until the light goes out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok take the kick panel out from under the door. Behind here you should find the tech sheet which should give you the list of error codes and the corrective actions. I think from memory this is a touch pad problem but in the mean time while you take the panel off im going out to my van to get the tech sheet on this if i have it. Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Actually have you tried cutting the power at the breaker for a minute?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Several times.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok did you take the kick panel off under the door?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did you find the tech sheet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Where do I look?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok what buttons do you have on the panel? from left to right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

From left to Right:

1) Anti bacterial

2) Pots and Pans

3) Normal (this is the blinking one)

4) China crystal

5) Quick Wash

6) Rinse only

7) The timer (where the minutes show)

8) Delay Start

9) Soak and scour

10) High temp scour

11) Sani rinse

12) Air dry

13) Cancel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
ok try hitting the cancel button for 10 seconds
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok my tech sheet tells me this error code normal flashing means there is a short on one of the keys on the touch pad. The things i have been telling you to do is an attempt to clear the code. There is one last thing we can try and that is clearing this code through invoking the diagnostic program. if this does not work you will need to replace the touch pad which with whirlpools normally invokes replacing the console. Here is the last thing we can try
1. Crack open the door
2. Hit Air dry
3. Hit Normal
4. Hit Air dry
5. Hit Normal
6. Close the door
7. Hit Cancel
Wait for the pump to stop running and then try a wash cycle. If this fails to clear the problem we have a shorted key that will not be reset which as mentioned before will involve replacing the panel. mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pump is not running. It is locked up. I cannot get it to do anything.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
as mentioned try putting it into the diagnostic cycle. the reason the control board is frozen is because the control board is reporting a problem with a stuck or shorted key (normal key) we have been trying to clear the code up to this point. If the error clears when you hit cancel after shutting the door the pump will run for about 30 seconds. If it does not clear and the pump does not work that is a indicator the code did not clear and we need to replace the touch pad.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It must be the touch pad.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok do you need me to find you a spot you can get the part?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. I'm getting my wife a new dishwasher for Christmas. Won't she be happy? I may need you to testify in Divorce Court.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok sorry could not be of more assistance. Mike