Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

neither section of my admiral fridge freezer, american style

Customer Question

neither section of my admiral fridge freezer, american style are not working. for a couple of weeks, everything was too cold- stuff frozen in the fridge. Now not cooling at all, both sides warm inside. Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor? is the fan in the freezer running? let me know, also what is the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan. Not e-mailing from home so do not have model no. to hand at the moment. No frost on the back panel, no stange noises from either section. Both sides sound normal, but not getting cold at all. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok the fans are running? this is probably the compressor relay or the cold control, its hard to say, when you get home tonight can we work then ? I have to leave for work anyway and wont be back until this evening. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok talk tonight then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bryan

Have now located both the serial and model no.s

Model- (P) GC2224GEKB

Serial (S) 11620987JJ

I hope this will prove useful.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok the # XXXXX XXXXX let me look at this, did you check to see if the compressor was warm?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No idea what compressor looks like. in the manual, there is only an arrow pointing to the back of the unit. Have looked at the back. there is a cover there at the bottom which I presume I need to remove in order to look at the compressor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes remove the panel and you will see a black ball with tubes this is the compressor, see if its warm or cold, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bryan

Have taken off the back panel- compressor surface is definitely cold.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok do you have a volt meter?if so check power to the compressor,you should have 120 volts, if you do you probably have a bad compressor start relay, the realy part # XXXXX XXXXX , if the relay doesnt work your compressor is shot, you can order the relay @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=67004815&productGroupId=0046&supplierId=464&brandId=3048&documentId=M0703142&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber =GC2224GEKB&keyId=0010&pageId=00012&productTypeId=0165000&searchModelNumber=GC2224GEKB&subCompDesc=Compressor&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=INTERNATIONAL-REFRIGERATION&blt=11 for around $28.00 these just plug onto the compressor, thanks and happy holidays, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome, happy holidays! thanks Bryan