Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Dear Sir - I have a Whirlpool refrigerator (model numbers

Customer Question

Dear Sir -

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator (model numbers ET21DK & ET21DM). It is leaking water in the back interior center and the source seems to be from the vicinity of the top freezer because the water is iced up in a bowl I placed in the refrigerator interior rear top shelf.

Can you help me?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you have a clogged defrost drain line in this, this is very common on these you need to remove the back panel in tyhe freezer and in the middle under the coils you find a drain hole (probably covered in ice ) get very hot water(and lots of towels) and pour it over the hole until it drains freely,thius will fix the problem, hope this info is helpful , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why does this drain hole clog? I want to prevent this from happening again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I want to prevent this from happening again. Why does this drain hole clog?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
poor design water in a freezer? this realy cant be fixed per say. I usually run something down the drain, (I use a piece of 1/4' plastic tubbing) and clear the line. sometimes even a spider webb in the tube will hold the water and freeze. sorry wish I had that answer i'd be rich. LOL, some people take a piece of bare copper wire and wrap it around the heater and put it in the tube so when the heater heats up for defrost the wire heats up and is suppose to keep this from freezing but it doesnt always work, the heater is a calrod(looks like an oven bake element) you can try that. thanks Bryan