Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my Maytag dryer model de406 will not turn on. Appears to be

my Maytag dryer model de406 will not turn on. Appears to be the actuator.
Replaced the timer but still not working. Power supply is ok.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am here to assist you. First may I please have the model number of your dryer? It is normally located on the ddor rim of the dryer or on the door itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Randy,

the Model number is XXXXX DE406

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, that model number doesn't come up. Is the a non US model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
try model number DE407
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Okay I think I might have found what will help us. I am going to send you a pic and let me know if the front of your dryer looks like the picture.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

similar, but the doorknob is located in the middle on the side and not

in the upper corner, also my dryer doesn't have the square in the lower right

hand corner.

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
That is okay. It has the 2 screws at the bottom right and left front correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, no screws in front only 3 on each side
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, is this a US or non US model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the nameplate gives the model number, serial number and The Maytag Corporation

Newton, Iowa USA. The washer of the set is Model number A207.

Have Maytag laundry appliances ever been made in Canada? I assume the pair

was purchased in Canada. We bought it used some years ago.

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Yes, there are appliances that are made out of the US. With these models I do not have access to the proper documentation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Randy,

found a discussion on applianceguru forum dealing with a problem with a DE406 dryer.

Both parties were US based, that tells me that the dryer was made in the US. The appliance expert called the DE406 a

"real oldie", so please keep looking. Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
hi this is Bryan, Randy has opted out lets see what I can find out for you, do you have a volt meter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
does your dyer look like this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Bryan,

yes, my dryer looks exactly like that. We don't have a voltmeter, just a circuit tester.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok this could be though then, you really need to check continuity, does your dryer have a light inside?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, no light inside.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok have you acually tested the door switch or just listened for a click?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just listened to the click of the door switch, sounds normal as it did when the

dryer was working. What I would like to mention is that the dial knob that you

push in to set the drying time is smooth now where as before it sounded and felt

similar to the washer knob. So, could it be something mechanical rather than

electrical?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well I believe its electrical, I have to run out for a few minutes but will be back shortly, will you be here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to run out too, will be back around 4PM (MST), so take your time.

Appreciate all your effort. Would really like to get this old lady going again, looks

like new, I don't think she is ready for the dump yet.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I love those machines but they can be a pain to work on, talk later, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan, are you still looking after me?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sorry , I needed to do some things for Mom, this machine is a though one to work on, the thing to do is take the wires off the door switch and jump them together, (bypass the switch) and see if it starts , if it doesnt you will need to do the same to the thermostats one at a time until this starts, you changed the timer so we know thats not it, it has to be a thermostst or door switch , if its not its the motor unfortunately,I have to work until this afternoon but will check back then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan, thanks for your suggestions, this will be quite a job it seems, will keep

you posted.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks , happy holidays if we dont talk agian, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.