Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

we have the kenmore model 18393972 small refridgerator in our

Customer Question

we have the kenmore model 18393972 small refridgerator in our office and everything is freezing in it - i have it down to "1" .......also the tray under the freezer has iccicles hanging down and in the freezer sometimes instead of a piece of ice to defrost it has thick soft ice like snow
pls help
thankyou....joan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 5 years ago.
Does the fridge run all the time does it ever shut it self off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it runs all the time.......i only shut it off to defrost it........we have food in it so i cant shut it off except to defrost it
You need to replace the thermastat.It is behind the knob you use to turn it on and off.You can get the part from sears.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can replace this myself - i don't need someone to look at the refridgerator?
Yes you can do it your self.Just take the model# XXXXX sears parts store and tell them you need a thermastat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am looking at the knob but it doesn't look like it comes off- can you explain how to do this so i can do it correctly
Where is it located?The model you gave does not come up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is located on the right side -but not against the side of the fridge -it is attached to what looks like a box but i don't see any place to take the knob off or separate it from the "box part" - hard to describe
Look for screws around the box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the box is part of the side of the fridge - its like a molded part -all one piece and the knob is just on one part of it but there are no holes/screws -nothing
Then the knob should just pull off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the knob does come off - i will have to get my friend to help me with this......

i am in manhattan - can i go to a regular sears store or there are special stores that just sell parts?

Most sears store have a parts dept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its worth a try - if it does not work then what?
It will work.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU.......I WILL GET THE PART AND TRY IT......JOAN
You are welcome.