Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Samsung side-by-side fridge freezer, bought new, that

Customer Question

I have a Samsung side-by-side fridge freezer, bought new, that has run without problem for the last 4 years. The circulating fan on the fridge side started to make a noise as if it was hitting something. I carefully dismantled the inside of the fridge to find that it was frosted up and the fan was hitting the ice. I defrosted the whole thing then after reassembling it I started it up again. Three months later it has started to do the same thing.
What can be wrong and why does it now keep freezing up, how can I rectify it?
The temperature is set at -18c on the freezer side and + 4c on the fridge side. Everything else appears to be working ok including the icemaker.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
your refrigerator has a defrost issue, can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bryan
Thanks for your prompt reply.
The model number is: RS21DGRS
Regards
Malcolm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bryan
Thanks for your prompt reply.
The model number is: RS21DGRS
Regards
Malcolm
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
your problem is the defrost thermostat, Part 609974its not turning your defrost heater on, this is common, you can check this by putting a volt meter on it and test it for continuity when its (cold only) replace this and you should be al set, you can get this@ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-RS21DGRS-%3d%3dei609974&PartID=609974 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bryan
Thanks for the info. I will try to find a parts supplier in the UK and when fitted hope this solves the problem.
Best regards
Happy Christmas
Malcolm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bryan
I am having a hell of a problem sourcing the part that you recommended in the UK.
I am wondering if Samsung build their fridges differently for the UK market than that of the Satates.

I have been on the web site as follows, but the part is not listed....

http://www.4mysamsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?query=Samsung%20RS21DGRS&brand=Samsung&model=RS21DGRS&path=111066&model_pre=RS21DGRS&model_ref=71936&brand_ref=178

It's a slow job to pull the fridge to bits to find and check the part in question. It takes half a day, with the aid of a hair dryer, to defrost it before I can pull the back out. It would have been nice to have the part at hand to replace it there and then when I next dismantle it.

Can you help please.
Regards
Malcolm

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
hey malcolm, good day, try this site ands see if they carry your defost thermostat, yours may be different than the american one, you may need to contact them, http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/Refrigeration+Parts/Samsung/Samsung+Sensors+%252526+Fuses.htm yours may look like this, DA32-10109R - Samsung US Fridge Freezer Defrost Sensor it wont copy but its the first one you see on the site, hope this helps, thanks Bryan