How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi ther, i have a panasonic genius 4 convection microwave and

Resolved Question:

Hi ther, i have a panasonic genius 4 convection microwave and of late it has been making growling grinding noises sometimes during heating. We have heated chocolate to melft always in the mcrowave and now we cant, i cooked microwave pies as we have done for ages in special microwave wrappers and lately they now burn on top. The unit is 16yrs old. Should i be worried? Does it sound like a problem??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it sounds like its time to replace this microwave. being 16 years old the parts wont be available to repair this not to mention the new microwaves are more powerfull and cheaper than fixing this, you probably have a problem with the wave guide or a problem with the magnetron itself, the other issue is the repairs will reqiure a service tech, heres the gorverment warning on this, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven


I would at this point just replace this, hope my info has been helpful , thanks Bryan

Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions