Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Amana Big Oven 5.14 cu. Electric. And for some reason

Customer Question

I have an Amana Big Oven 5.14 cu. Electric. And for some reason I can set the oven to say 350* and the preheat starts and then a few min's later it will beep telling me it's ready and it's only at 200*. I can hear it clicking like it's turning the coil on but then it seems to click right back off again. The quiet click on -off keeps going constatnly. Is this normal? I'm guessing not. I am pretty mechanicaly able but I am In no way an Amana repair man. If it's a thermostat or a module of some sort I can probably change it, but I don't know much about diagnostics. Oh, by the way It does eventually get up to temp, it just takes about an hour or so.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
this can be a # XXXXX things, the senser , the control board, the element itself, can you get me a model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan,

Thanks for getting back so quick. The model # XXXXX XXXXX little hard to read but it looks like it is ACF4225AW. I should also mention that I have messed with the oven a bit. I like to make home made pizza's, and the recipe I use needs the oven at about 700*. The only way i can get that to work was to remove the locking door hook and turn it on clean. When I get to the temp I need I can still open the door. It works, just once you open the door it shuts the oven off which I'm sure is a safety mechanism, but i still get the pizza done in no time. But I was wondering if my unhooking the lock would have an effect on how the oven works. I wouldn't think so but I'm not the repairman. It does heat up good on "clean mode" though. Just not on the regular oven setting.Chuck

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you probably have a damaged oven temperature senser, Part 822175this is cheap and i would replace this before anything else, its only $19.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-ACF4225AW-%3d%3dei822175&PartID=822175 this is located on the back wall of the oven, try this and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, You know I thought about replacing it but when I looked for one before I didn't see one anywhere. This time I took a better look and I see it's up near the top. I see it has two screws on the inside of the oven. Is it replaced from the inside or from the back? I'm guessing the inside but who knows. Do you think it just went bad or did I do this by unhooking the lock?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
it could have failed because you used the high heat to much but who knows, yes this comes out through the inside, sometimes the plug gets caught though and you have to take the back off to feed it through,hope this info was helpful thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I replaced the temp sensor and it still does it. Whats the next step? Or isn't it worth fixing? Any and all suggestions will be accepted. Well of course.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well it looks like the relay on the board is shot, you would need to replace the control to fix this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its $148.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-ACF4225AW.-%3d%3dei1009852&PartID=1009852 sorry, thats all I can do , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan,

Well I changed the control board and proceeded to preheat and the same thing happened. I took about an hour and it was still 100* short of the set temp, the board is still clicking what sounds like on-and off. I don't think that was it. Can I send the board back? Now what? Chuck

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
boy I dont know what else this could be. unless you have a short somewhere, I'm sorry about that, I'll try and find more info for you after Christmas, happy holidays and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan,

The strange thing is that it heats up great on broil and on clean. But on oven it takes for ever and it's like a temp limit switch is clicking on and off.Maybe a fault in the lower heating element? Just guessing. Chuck

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
try putting this on bake and wait a little bit, dont put your hand on the bottom but just above it and see if you feel heat comming up. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK,

I put it on bake, I have the lower panel out so it was easy to feel that it was starting to heat. But within a minute I heard the clicking in the control board start. It won't really heat up that much before it shuts it off. Then off for a minute and back on for about five seconds then back off again. It doesn't do it in broil mode or clean mode just oven. I guess that would be why it takes so long to heat up in oven mode.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well it probaby the clock, the relay isnt holding in, thyere really isnt anything eles that would click like that and shut the element off, the relay is weak. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I find the relay?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the relay is part of the clock, you cant fix it you will need to replace the clock,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already replaced the control board and that didn't do anything. It still does the same thing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
man to be honest i dont know of anything else in this oven that would cause this, you may have to call a technician in to look at this , sorry, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still does the same thing. Beeps when it's not up to the set temp, takes over and hour to preheat. replaced all these parts and still van't figure it out. Is there some sort of high temp switch that is shot, that is stopping it from getting up to temp as fast as it should?