Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator model # GSS22JFMCWW.

Customer Question

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator model # XXXXX It is leaking from the bottom on the freezer side. I shut off the water supply valve but it still leaks and I can’t identify the source of the leak. Could it be water from the defrost heater not evaporating? I even turned the refrigerator off for several hours and it still leaked. Any ideas???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thos is probably a defrost drain issue, is there a sheet of ice under the bottom drawer in the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No.

there was a lot of frost buildup in the freezer probably because the flapper on the ice dispenser doesn't completely close (which may be a separate issue??) and we defrosted it a couple of days ago and it started leaking shortly after that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have two problems, 1 the defrost drain is clogged I believe, this is located in the back of freezer behind the back panel in the middle blelow the coils, take hot water and pour it on the ice until its draining correctly, the other issue is the door shute flap, this is probably the issue with that, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is located behind the ice dispenser cover, which just pops off, and these get rusted and dont let the door shute close, this is common on these, hope my info helps thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK. the back panel inside the freezer, correct? I replaced the defrost heater about 6 months ago and the coils were totally caked in ice. there's no ice buildup on the panel so the defrost heater should be working ok. So I guess we need to unload the freezer, shut down the refigerator, remove the panel, and go to work.

as for the flapper, I bought a new one from a local appliance parts store a couple of weeks ago. just the black round part for about $6 or $7. hope this is all that's needed for that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I hope so if not let me know, take lots of hot water and pour it on the drain until it clears. also get lots of towels! thanks and happy holidays, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks. happy holidays/merry christmas to you too.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

below is a photo of the coils I took a few minutes ago. I assume the defrost drain is the copper tube at the bottom, directly below the defrost heater, even though is doesn't look like the image you sent. as you can see, the coils have a layer of frost on them but i'm told this is normal, correct?

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the hole is in the pan at the bottom part of the refrigerator not the coils the hole in the left corner of the picture, it doesnt look iced over though did you already clear this? the frost is normal, you may be getting this water because your door flap was open , let me know thanks Bryan