I have volunteered to look at a dryer for a local non-profit organization. I have repaired my own appliances
for 30 years, I can read schematics, and have worked on both gas and electric....
So, I'm looking at a Roper electric dryer
approximately 10 years old. Customer reports unit to be trouble free for several years, and then 2 days ago, press start button and she reports a small flash or spark from behind the control panel and then nothing....no start, no noise, no nothing.
I check breaker - ok
I check outlet - 2 legs at 120 - 240 when crossed
I check power at cord connection - nuts are tight, same power at plug
I check line power at coils - 240 present
I check power at back of timer - 120 present
I check door switch for continuity - works fine
I check 2 overlimit swithes - continuity on both
I remove leads from start switch and cross - no response
I remove lid and drum, inspect motor, turns evenly, no visible signs of damage
no visible signs of spark or burnt wiring
now what ?