Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have volunteered to look at a dryer for a local non-profit

I have volunteered to look at a dryer for a local non-profit organization. I have repaired my own appliances for 30 years, I can read schematics, and have worked on both gas and electric....
So, I'm looking at a Roper electric dryer approximately 10 years old. Customer reports unit to be trouble free for several years, and then 2 days ago, press start button and she reports a small flash or spark from behind the control panel and then nothing....no start, no noise, no nothing.
I check breaker - ok
I check outlet - 2 legs at 120 - 240 when crossed
I check power at cord connection - nuts are tight, same power at plug
I check line power at coils - 240 present
I check power at back of timer - 120 present
I check door switch for continuity - works fine
I check 2 overlimit swithes - continuity on both
I remove leads from start switch and cross - no response
I remove lid and drum, inspect motor, turns evenly, no visible signs of damage
no visible signs of spark or burnt wiring
now what ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So sorry....the dryer is 25 miles away..it only has 2 knobs, timer and start button.

basic dryer, approx 10 years old.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok did you check the start button for continuity? you will need to remove the two wires from the start switch and put your meter on continiuty and push the button in , you should get conyinuity acrossed the two spades when you push it, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not check the continuity of the switch, but, I crossed the two leads and got no response
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
this is the thermal fuse, Part 2986have you checked this? you can take the wires off and tape them together and see if it starts, do not leave this jumped out though its a safety, if it starts replace the fuse, this is located on the blower assembly, let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked it, there was continuity
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok thtas not good then, you probably need the timer in that case, you have checked everything else and since the start switch is good and the spark came from the control panel its the only thing it could be, without a model # XXXXX I cant check further,the contacts inside the timer have fried. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I removed and opened the timer, very clean inside, no carbon build-up
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no burns or bad contacts? it seams to me that its would have to be either the timer or the start switch. I'm working blind here however without a model # XXXXX If you can get that to me I'll see what else you can do, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I made a phone call to get model #...REX5634JQO. I am perplexed by getting no response from the machine after checking all the usual suspects. I could replace the timer, but I'm trying to determine if it is really at fault with no visible signs of damage....
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
this may be the issue with this,
Power resistor kit for dryer timer
Repair manual: 1170641
Part 469773
I'm not sure of the resistance on this though but if everything else checks out there isnt much else, taks a look at this, if its bad you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-REX5634JQO-%3d%3dei469773&PartID=469773 for around $20.00
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I saw this in the wiring harness, it appeared to be o.k., but Is there a test for it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
if it has the ohms resistance on it you can test it that way,there isnt much else, you tested , door switch,thermal fuse, start switch , and timer, so if the spark came from the control panel there isnt anything else, it has to be one of these things.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, on your recommendation I will replace the power resistor. I appreciate your help and insight. I'll let you know the results if you send me an e-mail to: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Have a good day, Michael
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome Michael, after you press accept you can leave the question open and come back if you have more questions, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.