Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

fridgeaire compact refrigerator/freezer Model Number FRTC031.3DW0

Customer Question

fridgeaire compact refrigerator/freezer
Model Number: FRTC031.3DW0

My compact fridge just stopped working. Neither freezer nor fridge is getting cold. Any hope to repair it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you tell me if the compressor feels warm? is the compressor running at all? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been unplugged for several days. I don't know. I can plug it in now and see.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok plug it in and listen for the compressor to start,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Seemed to "vibrate" only slightly right when I plugged it in, but now it seems like nothing is happening. No warmth after these few minutes. No noise (but I never noticed noise from the fridge when it was operational). No vibration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, I would like to continue our conversation but I have to go into a meeting. Can we talk again tomorrow? is this possible?XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes of course, sorry i had to step out myself, (feed my mom) talk tomorrow, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Bryan,

If you are available I would like to continue assessing the problem with my compact Frigidaire that "stopped" working.
Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sure , I'm here,this sounds like you have a bad start relay on the compressor in this, let me look at this and I'll be back, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great. Basically just trying to determine whether we can fix it and if it will be cost-effective to do so. Hate to just dump the whole thing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the relay will look something like this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=it will be on the side of the compressor, this plugs onto the compressor, try and take it off(use a screw driver to pry gently) and the shake it ,if it rattles then its bad, if you replace this and the compressor still doesnt start the compressor is bad. you will also need the #s off the relay to get the right one, the model # XXXXX show the relay, hope this info helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where would i find replacement parts? I live in New York City. Will i have to order online?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ordering this online would be the best option but you need the #S off the old one to know which one you need, well wishes and happy holidays, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Having just checked the compressor again, it is WARM. Does this change your diagnosis?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sorry i had to step out, does it feel like its running? it can still be warm and not be running because these can get warm trying to start, I would say if you cant feel a slight vibration its not running, did you thake the relay off and shake it?