MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

we have an Amana Refridgerator BX21TW Mfg # P1196515WW - est.

Customer Question

we have an Amana Refridgerator BX21TW Mfg # XXXXX - est. age: 12 yrs old
our bottom freezer has stopped working - we had a local tech visit - tech reported no coolant left in system - copper pipes eroded from high sulpher content in well water possible cause - tech does not recommend fixing and suggested purchasing new fridge. any thoughts? is corrosion of copper pipes common with high sulpher content water?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

Are we talking about the green on the tubing behind the silver panel on the back?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the tech did not say - he only indicated to me that once he removed the square silver panel from the back of the fridge and looked in with his flashlight the copper tubing was black and eroding

This is a common leak area on amanas. You are outside the 10 year part warranty that came with most amanas. If it has a leak there then the compressor, heat exchanger and the evaporator will have to be replace. We did this job for around $750. If this unit has been good to you it may be worth the repair. Also note that ice makers are good about 6 years and the lining will start coming off and should be replaced.

Buying guide click here

Thank you let me know if there is anything else you need.

Edited by MASTER-TECH on 12/10/2009 at 3:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is 750 in US $ - is this model still a good model or is there a better amana that has replaced it
Yes US money. Amana is made buy Whirlpool now. They are stil a good unit. You can also shop Amana on the link I sent you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Awesome Service! I appreciate the quick response from someone 'in the know'!

thanks again!

No problem, thank you very much and have a good holiday....