MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

my maytag stainless top loading washing machine about 4 years

Customer Question

my maytag stainless top loading washing machine about 4 years old stopped in mid cycle. The water is still in the there and it wont drain. When I pull the knob it comes on but nothing happens. When I stop it I hear a sound like something was spinning down below but nothing more. I can hear the timer working. When I rotate the knob around I get not action on the machine. Is it worth trying to fix or should I scrap it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 4 years ago.
Can you get me the model # XXXXX the unit, please? It will be just behind the timer panel or under the lid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MAV9600EWW Serial#26322821AR
Have you removed the water?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not yet
When you get the water out of the unit unplug the unit and tip the unit back towards the wall and have someone hold it. Remove the belt and spin all the pulleys. Let me know wich one is making the noise. Note the center one will spin harder one way and easier the other. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
matytag washer: MAV9600EWW It stopped mid cycle with water in it. There is not movement when I go through all the cycles although it does turn on and the timer sounds like it is working. When I turn it off I hear a whiring sound at the base of the machine. No actual motor or pump activity. The water is still in the tank and I will drain it tomorrow. Wondering should I junk or try and get it fixed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will do that tomorrow morning and see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed the water and looked at the bottom. If looks as if the black section of the pulley wheel on the motor has disintegrated. When I put it on spin the motor spins fine but there is not much or a wheel to move the belt. The white plastic is still there but the black section is worn out and only the upper ring section is left. What does it take to replace the pulley wheel. I worked as an auto mechanic in my college days and work on my motorcycle now so I have a lot of tools. Next step?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it looks as if the motor pulley is toast. Can you get a pulley replacement or is it the whole motor that have to be replaced?

I'm sorry they quit making the pulley by its self. You have to replace the whole motor. Check with a used appliance dealer to see it they would have a used one.

The pulley should just snap on if you can find a used one. The part#22004297 this is the orignal part #. Try the link below it looks like they may have one, If not google the part #.

Click here for pulley

Thank you...

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

I replaced the motor/pulley and it works fine now.

Good job, thank you and have a good week...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an old stove gas Kenmore. The oven doesnt work but the top works. No action on the oven no gas comes out. Any ideas

Is it hooked up now?

Do you have a model #, for it? Put the model number in " " other wise it will get XXXX'ed out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my wife is cooking on it. I will have to raise the lid later when it cools abit
Ok will be here.