MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

I have a GE washer that is leaving small brown spots on my

I have a GE washer that is leaving small brown spots on my clothes. This has been happening intermittently for about 6 months. Tonight I noticed brown grease like smudges on the interior walls and bottom of the tub. I ran another load and when it drained I noticed this smae substance around the drain holes. Any idea as to what it is and how I can stop this from happening?

Model #: WHDSR209DSWW
Do you see a ring around the agitator at the high water line? About how old is the unit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

But I looked in the washer just now and there are small brown smudges on the walls there is a slight grayish stain on the top most portion of the tub but it doesn't rub off when i touch it. The brown spots do and they look like grease.

the washer was here when we moved in in 2005. Not sure how long the previous owners had it.

I can take digital photos of the inside of the tub if needed.

It is likely the seal on top of the transmission. The transmission will be over $300 to replace. New washers start around $350. There maybe a 5-part warranty on the transmission you will still have to pay labor for a GE servicer. You can call GE with the serial # XXXXX they will be able to tell you the units warranty and if it will fit under the warranty. GE(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Thank you..