Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE side by side fridge - yesterday the water ws not

I have a GE side by side fridge - yesterday the water ws not coming out of the water dispenser. I cleaned the freezer out and emptied the ice tray (there was a good bit of ice in there), turned the temp down from level 5 to level 3 & let it sit overnight (I also put a samll cup of water on one of the shelves to test and see if it would freeze - just to see if the freezer was still working).
When I woke in the morning the water was still not working and the ice bin was still empty. It appears to me that the water line may be frozen or clogged. I have turned the ice maker off.
My refridgerator is still under warranty that I bought through Brands-Mart - just not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it myself.

Incidentally - this seemed to happen overnight - the water was working fine the night before last.

Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
we will need the full model # XXXXX help you, here are some places to find it, First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

All types

• Inside the refrigerator or freezer, on the upper left or right side wall
  • Behind the lower crisper drawer
  • Behind the lower toe kick-plate
  • On the face frame of the refrigerator body,
  • let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX

Manufacturer - GE

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you need to pull the chrisper drawer out and check this, Part 879687this is the water chiller, these sometimes will freeze and the water and ice maker stop working, take a hair dryer and defrost the whole chiller while checking the water in the door, see if it starts flowing again, this is a common problem, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info - I got home and did what you advised - but unfortunately the water chiller is now leaking - can this be repaired and how much will it cost?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
its leaking. ? that means it was frozen and cracked the chiller, the chiller itself isnt expensive its only $23.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-ESS25LSR-SS-%3d%3dpi879687&PartID=879687 you can replace this yourself , diconect the lines in the back of refrigerator and pull them through into the refrigerator, hope this helops, thanks Bryan