Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I cleaned the oven using the self cleaning feature and now

I cleaned the oven using the self cleaning feature and now the range is beeping and instead of the clock it shows F 1. I push the stop/clear button and it returns to normal for a few minutes then starts beeping and returns to F 1. How do I get it to stop? The range is a Magic Chef. The model is 38HA 6TVW. The serial number is XXXXX The code is EV.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this is what the code means,
F1 1. Watchdog on board
2. Touch membrane defective
To determine which component is at fault, disconnect ribbon strip. If NO fault code, replace membrane, otherwise replace board
most likely the cause is the touchpad(membrane) but you will need to run the test above to be sure, this membrane is plugged into the clock via a ribbon, I'll try and get you some diagrams and pix, be back shortly, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I cant find the diagrams for this, what you need to do is get the control panel where the clock is ,out and you will see a ribbon that plugs in comming from the touch pad , remove the ribbon and turn the oven back on and see if the F1 re appears, if so you need to replace the clock, if not its the touch pad, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I have an appointment in 15 minutes so I am going out the door now. I will get back to you in approximately 2 - 3 hours. Thanks again for your response.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After removing the back cover from the range I see that this range does not use a wire ribbon or a touch pad (membrane). Below the digital clock is a row of seven push button switches: timer, clock, cook time, clean, stop time, broil, and bake temp. These switches are on a circuit bord that is piggy backed onto the main board that has the clock, the stop/clear switch and the pot to set the time, temp, etc. I separated the two boards removing the seven push button switches and plugged in the stove. The beeper and the F1 are still there. So does that mean that the clock circuit is bad, even though it keeps time?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes unfortunatly, sorry, you will have to click this blue link to find your clock, there are different ones for the same oven, hope this helps, thanks Bryan