MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

I have a Whirlpool Supreme Heavy Duty/Extra Capacitydryer.

I have a Whirlpool Supreme Heavy Duty/Extra Capacitydryer. For a few days it was a little touchy, needing the time position knob to be in a "just right" position for it to turn on. Now nothing is happening when I push the power button. Doesn't even sound like the motor turns on at all. I tried unplugging it & plugging it back in after a few seconds, but nothing changed. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

Can you get me the model # XXXXX? It is located inside the door.

When you tried to start it before would the unit make a humming noise or nothing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model #: LER7646AQ1
The motor did not make a humming noise before when it wouldn't turn on, but would turn on immediately if I moved the time knob even just a little bit. It would "buzz" as if the cycle were over and turn off again, and would keep doing that several times as I turned it, but would then finally stay on.
Was this wial holding the start button in? and the would the buzz happen at the end of the cycle where it is ment to?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would just briefly push the button to turn it on, I didn't need to hold it down. The buzz was not happening at the right time, it was in the middle of the drying cycle. Thanks!

Do you think that when you were playing with timer to get it to start before it had an affect on it strarting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it seemed to randomly turn on in certain places along the dial. If I just left it in one place, and pushed the on/off button, nothing happened.
Do you know how to use an electric meter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope! Not even sure what that is! :)

Sorry. I think it would be best the have a tech out to find out if it is the timer or the motor. I feel it will be the timer from what we have gone over but there is a chance that the motor is going bad. If the unit is more than 10 years old it maybe time for a new unit as either of the repairs are not cheep.

Thank you-...

Whirlpool -800-253-1301