MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

Our 1998 Kenmore freezer, Model #2539280412, Serial #WB82524161,has

Our 1998 Kenmore freezer, Model #2539280412, Serial #WB82524161,has a red light on the door and is emitting a beeping sound. What do I need to do to stop this?
Does the unit seem like it is starting to warm up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is warming up.
The beeping is an alarm for too high of a temp inside the unit. If you open it do you hear a fan or see frost on the lower part of the back panel inside?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, there is not frost on the back panel and the only fan or noise that I hear is the noise that it normally makes. Water on the floor of the freezer is frozen hard. I am so late in replying because I did not understand that I had to go back to the other page to read your reply.

If you look at the bottom of the back panel does the ice cover the vent holes on the bottom?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not see any holes at the back of the freezer, but the bottom of the freezer is covered with a heavy, hard layer of ice, approximately one inch thick . This covers an opening that runs along the back of the bottom of the freezer.

You have a frozen drain. All that ice has to be removed. The best way is to unplug it and let it thaw with the door open. Place towels around it to catch the extra water. The other will be to use a hair dryer to melt the ice and then remove the rear panel and clear the drain. Either way you will have to remove the panel to make sure there is no debris blocking the drain. If you need for tonight go to the super market and get 3 pounds of dry ice and place it on the top shelf. Make sure that the unit is unplugged when working on it and that the hair dryer is GFCI protected.

Thank you...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I unplug freezer, leave door open & let ice thaw, will I need to do anything at back of freezer? I do not have anyone to move freezer so I can get to back.
After it thaws you will need to check that the drain is clear. You sould be able to see it though the vent holes when the ice is clear. Also if you use a turkey baster you can squirt some water in the vent and is should drain fairly quickly.