John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

HOw much does it cost to replace a thermal fuse I have a 20

HOw much does it cost to replace a thermal fuse? I have a 20 year old dryer that just stopped heating. Trying to decide if I should pay for a repairman's call or just go buy a new one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Please send me the complete model number so I nan help you better.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model number is LE4440xwwo
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

This is the Hi limit thermal fuse its located on the heater housing at the rear of the dryer.If the fuse is open replace the part.The failure is caused by poor air flow.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont want to do the repair myself. My question is about how much should I expect to pay for the repair to put a new thermal fuse in. The dryer is 20 years old, and I'm trying to assess the value of fixing vs buying new (knowing that a repairman will charge a certain amount for a home call eg $75 or so, and then the labor/ parts to replace the fuse). So im just looking to see how much is involved in replacing the fuse
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You can replace this part yourself .Take the back off the dryer the thermostat has two screws to take off. If a service tech does it its the service call, and 20 min labor.The cost of service depends on the charges for your area.