John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

how do i maintain a hobart dough mixer oil etc

how do i maintain a hobart dough mixer ?oil etc
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

The only thing you need to do is keep it clean for sanitation purposes. The gearbox is packed with a special gear grease, and needs to be replaced only when repairs are needed. Repairs should be made only by Hobart technicians, as the work requires special tools and training. Please believe me, when I say there are no DIY jobs you can perform. Our kitchen has one like yours, and I won't go inside for any reason.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about oil do i change or add
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
There is no liquid oil in the mixer. The gear case is packed with semi-solid food grade lubricant. DO NOT add any type of liquid oil.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok because i see 2 round little window like things that you see like a liquid oil it it at a level
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

My apologies. After reading your last post, I took a look under the top cover of our model HL-600. It has a filler plug, but no sight glass. It's been serveral years since I've looked at one of these. I have to guess they've changed the design. I think there's still no need to add oil, unless there's a leak. I'll call my local Hobart servicer to see if I can find out what type of oil they're using. I'll post back, when I find out.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I jusst called Hobart, and the technician says they use standard 90 weight gear oil in the gear case. There's no need to change the oil, unless it needs to be drained to make repairs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thought i seen oil in sight glass but there are 2 are they both the same or is there a level they are supposed to be at and where can i buy the 90 weight gear oil any autozone or something,are the 2 sight glass the same?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You can get the oil at any auto parts store. Don't add oil unless it drops below the sight glass.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok great but are both sight glass the same oil?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure, but you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNto find out. Ask for customer service. Our conversation has been lengthy, to be sure, but we've both learned things we needed to know. If my efforts have helped you, please click the accept button.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.