S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Maytag Legacy Series quiet series 300 dishwasher that

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Legacy Series quiet series 300 dishwasher that I purchased from Home Depot in May of 2007. This week during a wash cycle it suddenly stopped working. The buttons are unresponsive and the display flashes "9" and the rinse indicator light is illuminated. Any suggestions on something I can try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
unplug the unit for 60 seconds or turn the circuit breaker off to reset the unit. If it doesn't then you will need to replace your touchpad as for some reason it has shorted out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I killed the breaker for ten minutes. When I turned the power back on the flashing "9" returned immediately. The front panel looks sealed and dry... I wonder why it would fail? What would I have to do to get a new panel? The unit is just over two years old. I would expect a dishwasher to last ten years.

Have you fielded many service requests on this particular unit? In your opinion, did I buy a big white piece of garbage?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I have seen many issues with this unit and if it came up with 9 again as soon as you repowered the unit then you have a bad control board not a touchpad. The issue is almost always the touchpad, but in your case the control board is the issue. I wouldn't expect this unit to last 10 years no matter how lucky you are... more like 4-6 years.. they just don't build them like they used to by any means.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Huh... I just closed the dishwasher door and it ran through a rinse cycle for 9 minutes and then the display went blank. I pressed "autoclean" and then "start" and the unit seems to be functioning. I will let you know if it runs through completely.

Where is the control board? I assume it is seperate from the touch panel? How do i get a new one? Where can I purchase parts? Do I have to go straight to Maytag?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
correct, the part is located inside the door behind the touchpad. If it doesn't act up again then that's a good thing, but if it does it again then you will want to replace the board. The part will need to be ordered through paytag, or an online store like Repairclinic.com, or if you have a local appliance parts store you can order it from there as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was eventually able to make it all the way through that one "autoclean" wash cycle. Every once in a while it would stop wherever it was in the wash cycle and flash 9. I would have to press start and let it run the rinse for the 9 minutes, and then start the autoclean cycle over again. However, it still flashes the rinse light and has a flashing "9" on the display for ten minutes and then goes blank for ten minutes at random intervals throughout the day.

I am sure that I have to replace something, I just want to make sure that I replace the correct component. I also want to make certain that the part is worth replacing... If the control board is $250 and a new dishwasher is $350, I would rather get a new washer. Do you have a recommendation on where to source this part and roughly what it might cost? Do you think that this could be a reoccuring issue, and I may be better off buying a new washer rather than sinking $$ into this three year old piece when it will probably act up again in another year or two (if I'm lucky).

Any recommendations?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
with a full model number you can look up the control board at partselect.com. The model number is XXXXX on a sticker around the frame of the door on your dishwasher. The cost will be right around $100 or so for the part. It will need to be replaced to correct your issue. I think it's still better to repair then to replace if you are doing the repair yourself as the cost is not that much.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am concerned that the control board is not the problem. I pulled the board out of the sealed case and it looks clean and sealed with some sort of silicone film from the factory. There are no burnt caps or corrosion of any kind. I did some additional research and found the link below. Here they say that the solution was the touch panel and not the control board. Like many other people these days, I am in a bad spot financially and I cannot afford to shotgun troubleshoot this problem. I want to be certain that if and when I buy a replacement part for the repair it is the correct one because I can only buy one. That is why I was willing to invest in the Just Answer Appliance solution, I want to be assured that this is the solution to my problem by someone who has experience with this specific symptom. How confident are you that the solution to my problem is the control board and not the touch panel?

http://www.fixya.com/support/t578218-maytag_quiet_series_300_dishwasher_model

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
you can't see the problem but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be replaced. There is no way that a touchpad can cause a 9 to continue flashing, there is nothing the touchpad can do to cause that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My Model # XXXXX XXXXX and my serial # XXXXX XXXXX

Can you help me find the cheapest control board? I don't really know the best place to get parts. Do you have a favorite or most trusted location to make a PCB purchase?

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Here is the cheapest one I can find and the website is reliable.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model # XXXXX doesn't match my model # Is that a problem, or is that simply because they make parts for all kinds of models?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
that's exactly right, they make that part for many models. That is the correct part for your model and serial number, they just save it under only one model number. There are actually 3 control boards for your model but that is the correct one for your serial number I assure you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for verifying. I just ordered it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

I ordered the control board for the dishwasher. That was the last time that I logged on. Unfortunately, the part was back ordered, and I didn't get it for almost a week. During the week that I was waiting, I removed the existing control board and cleaned it up with some acetone, and put it back in. The flashing "9" stopped and I haven't had a problem since. Now I have the new control board here still in the box, and I am hesitant to return it just in case I have problems again later with the original one.

Thank you for your help. I will accept your answer.

Now I am having a problem with my Kenmore Series 70 gas dryer (model #110 72722100). I have troubleshot the problem a bit, and I want to see if you agree with my diagnosis. When you turn the dryer on, the igniter glows and then the burner lights. The burner will stay lit for some time. Eventually, the flame will go out. I believe this is because the thermostat has told it to because it has reached a certain temp. A few minutes later the ignitor will glow, but the flame does not come. The igniter will cycle on and off for the next few hours with no flame, and the timer will not advance in "auto dry". I believe this has to be the gas valve coil. I cannot think of anything else that this might be. Otherwise the ignitor would not light, right? Any thoughts? Can you think of anything else to try before I order the replacement valves? Have you ever done valve replacement on a gas dryer? Are there any tips that you could give me?

Thanks again for all of your help,

Adam

Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
i see your tech is off-line but yes you would be correct. you need to replace the coils.