Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My microwave turns on but doesnt heat, is it repairable

My microwave turns on but doesn't heat, is it repairable?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
in most cases these are cheaper to replace than repair, its could be a number of things, 1 the magnetron,2 the high voltage transfomer,or a number of other reasons, the problem is these are dangerous to work on and you would need to call for service, the cost would probably be more than just repalcing the microwave, please read this before going further . CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven

thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For some reason, I was expecting something more than what I already new and that is the two possible reason it could not be heating and the danger of working on it without expertise. Thanks anyway!!! I still saved, because I had someone who wanted to come out and diagnose it, not fix it, for $185.00.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you welcome , this could be as simple as a door switch which is not expensive, but more often than not its something more unfortunatly, I wish I could tell you to hit a reset buttom or something simple like that but it doesnt have a reset and its usually something major anyway, I just wanted you to be safe, you could replace the microwave for around $150.00 - $200.00 they are getting like vcr's and dvd, players, cheaper to replace than repair, have a great holiday season! thanks Bryan