How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My microwave turns on but doesnt heat, is it repairable

Resolved Question:

My microwave turns on but doesn't heat, is it repairable?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
in most cases these are cheaper to replace than repair, its could be a number of things, 1 the magnetron,2 the high voltage transfomer,or a number of other reasons, the problem is these are dangerous to work on and you would need to call for service, the cost would probably be more than just repalcing the microwave, please read this before going further . CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven



thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For some reason, I was expecting something more than what I already new and that is the two possible reason it could not be heating and the danger of working on it without expertise. Thanks anyway!!! I still saved, because I had someone who wanted to come out and diagnose it, not fix it, for $185.00.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you welcome , this could be as simple as a door switch which is not expensive, but more often than not its something more unfortunatly, I wish I could tell you to hit a reset buttom or something simple like that but it doesnt have a reset and its usually something major anyway, I just wanted you to be safe, you could replace the microwave for around $150.00 - $200.00 they are getting like vcr's and dvd, players, cheaper to replace than repair, have a great holiday season! thanks Bryan
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions