Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

maytag mv5156acq microwave. Does not vent air from stovetop,

maytag mv5156acq microwave. Does not vent air from stovetop, yet there is good exhaust from roof vent. How can I improve its performance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 6 years ago.
Hello,is this a new microwave? Also since you have it removed from the wall is there anywhere you can plug it in for testing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy, the microwave is about 5 years old. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly (not an easy task). It's now reassembled and ready to reinstall, awaiting your input. Yes, I can plug it in to test while it's down.

Expert:  Randy replied 6 years ago.
Okay, plug it in, turn it on, and turn on the vent.Let me know if it vent through the grille in the front or does it blow up through the top?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy, I've already determined that it vents out the back and through to the roof. The fans seem to be oriented properly.

There is some air venting out through the grille above the microwave, but not much. That whole area was also caked in grease.

My diagnosis is poor design. The exhaust fan works well because there is a good strong blow at the roof vent, but the draw of air above the stove is weakened by so many leaks (microwave oven and door, etc.)

I'm just sitting down for lunch so will check for a reply in 20 minutes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy, unless you have a suggestion as to how to increase the draw over the stove, I think I'll reinstall and hope that a thorough cleaning will help with its operation.

Expert:  Randy replied 6 years ago.
That sounds good to try because if the filters under the microwave and the grille get to clogged up the air flow will be non-existant. Let me know how it goes.