Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a g.e. dbxr463 electric dryer...i turn the start switich

i have a g.e. dbxr463 electric dryer...i turn the start switich and it just hums...merry christmas to me ...i dont have much money but i am handy...bad motor? thanks tony
well the first thing to try is spin the drum by hand and make sure it truns and theres nothing stuck in the blower, after that get someone to help you and open the door hold the door button in and have someone turn the start switch while you spin the drum, see if it starts, if it does you will need a motor, the starter windings are gone,sometimes if you do this it will start by itself after but soon it wont again, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi bryan.....you were right on the money..it started..i very much appreciate your reply..thanks tony
does it start by itself now or do you still need to spin it? if it doesn't you will need a motor unfortunately, these are a little pricey, around $152.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-+dbxr463+-%3d%3dei275427&PartID=275427 hope this helps, thanks Bryan