master appliance tech
master appliance tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company

Our Kenmore dishwasher, model # 665.15951793, sounds like something

Our Kenmore dishwasher, model # XXXXX sounds like something is grinding or a gear is jumping cogs. I checked the pump housing from inside the washer, and can't see anything obvious that might be causing the horrendous noise. Any ideas where I start to find the trouble?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I saw on one of the repair blogs that heavy food chunks sometimes get into the food grinding pump. Is it O.K. to unscrew the top of the pump inside the diswaher to see if there is someting inside causing the noise? Do I need to replace the gasket or seal (part #13) and use the pump centering tool (part # XXXXX) to re-assemble the pump?

Jim P.
you should be fine taking the the top of the pump off. i do every day lots of cherry seeds and chicken bones get in there and make a lot of noise.