master appliance tech
master appliance tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company

I have a GE refridgerator model # gts221bmbrww. I am having

I have a GE refridgerator model # XXXXX I am having probems with the freezer. The freezer fan is running and it seem like cold air is blowing out of it but everything in it is melting. I unplugged it for a while over the weekend and it seemed to temporarily fix the problem but now it is running non stop again and not keeping things frozen. WHat do i do???

you have a defrost problem this unit uses a control board and that is most likely your problem.

if you have a multi meter check the ohms of the heater. i have never changed a heater on this unit but if it is open then change it and not the board.

the board is in the back top left corner. the heater is in the freeze you will have to remove the back panel.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do you mean if the heater is open then change it? Should i look to change the heater before i change the board? The heater is much less expensive.
take the multimeter check it for ohms if the heater is open line then replace it if the heater shows resistance then it is good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is replacing the control board and/or the heater going to involve any tools that i do not already have? (i.e. screwdriver set, ratchet set, etc.)
yes you need tool to work on a fridge. if you change the board then you would just ne a 1/4 nut driver and a needle noise. the heater you just need a nut driver to test the heater you will need a multimeter.