John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I own a GE side by side refrigerator...about a month ago the

I own a GE side by side refrigerator...about a month ago the entire unit stopped working. I had toi defrost the freezer including removing back cover and defrosting the coils. It worked fine for about 3 weeks...now the freezer works fine but the refrigerator only cools to about 50 degrees, even with the setting at 8.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Did you check the freezer coils again for frost.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no visible frost on the front surface of the cover. Last time there was a good 2" of frost on the inside surface.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
The fridge setting of # XXXXX for the fridge closes a damper to the freezer stopping the cold air to the fridge.set it to # XXXXX for now and let cycle for 24 hrs . It should be fine. and also if you can look at that damper to see if its not blocked by frost.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where will I find the damper? Is it in the white box on the left wall that has vents?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Yes thats the damper just check that If its not frosted then set the fridge at # XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does not have any frost on the cover...does the damper have a spot that has access from the freezer that I should check...or should I remove the cover?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
You can see the access from the top of the freezer coils the fan motor directs the air flow through there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the freezer side and the opening is clear.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a bit of frost on the back cover of the freezer...about 1/8"
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

On the outside of the panel ?

If thats correct theres much more on the coils.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think I have a bad defrost heating element...as this is the 2nd time in a month? What parts should I replace first?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
It could be the defrost thermostat its at the top of the coils thats a common part to fail .You need a volt O H M meter to check the heater.and the defrost thermostat.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Whar settings should each be?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Set the meter to the O H M s setting the defrost thermostat should give a reading and the element as well .If one of them has no reading at all replace it.