John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

We bought electric oven, Model #JC1402BC in 1970 in Bedford,

Customer Question

We bought electric oven, Model #JC1402BC in 1970 in Bedford, VA. It has worked perfectly until this Thanksgiving. The thermostat? is malfunctioning; the oven does not reach the set temperature. We tested the settings with a free standing thermometer, (oven), and it falls short by anywhere from 75 to 100 degrees. I has (seperatly) a partially cooked turkey, pie and cake. Can we order a new part and do it ourselves, or what? I would love to keep this oven functioning and outliving me. What can we do? Thank you. This is a GE Claire Shepard
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

If the thermostat temperature difference is over 50 degrees, it needs to be replaced. The part numer is 252524, and the price is $243. You can purchase it at ''. Their phone is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If my answer has helped you, please click the accept button.

If you need further assistance, please post back.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also needed to know if I can repair this myself?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The thermostats in older ovens are easily replaced. You need to access the part by removing the panel it's attached to, and remove the sensing bulb from its bracket inside the oven compartment. Instead of pulling the bulb through the wall, cut the tube on the thermostat side, and use the remaining tube to tape the new bulb to it. This will make feeding the new bulb through the oven wall a lot easier. There are two holes to feed the bulb through. Once you have the new bulb attached inside the oven, you can attach the wires to the thermostat and attach it to the panel.