Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I own a natural gas heated Amana LGA30AW clothes dryer. The

Customer Question

I own a natural gas heated Amana LGA30AW clothes dryer. The dryer shuts off after approximately 10 minutes. It will not restart for a period of time (presumably to cool down). I have extensively cleaned the dryer of lint (removing the kick plate), the exhaust line under the house and the exhaust line within the dryer itself (removed blower housing). Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 7 years ago.
Hello when it stops and you try to start it do you hear a hum? Also does it take around 15 min before it will restart?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No Hum......and yes, approximately 15 mins......
Great pretty common issue. The motor is bad. Here is a link were you can get it click here

If you can not do this job to have a tech replace the motor it will be around 250 dollars. I would not put that much into this unit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had read other places where they talked about the gas "coils" going bad. I believe that the gas also shuts down before the dryer itself shuts off and it just runs for a few minutes more.
The coils would not cause this issue they would only stop the unit from heating.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was able to cycle it on and it ran for five minutes (gas burning, drum turning, and blower blowing) and suddenly just shut off.....does that sound like a motor issue....or some kind of sensor?
If you can not start it right away the motor is bad 99% sure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, basically the motor overheats and shuts down until it cools down? Is that a laymens version? Are there any tricks to installing a new motor?
Yes that is simple put. Nope two clamps hold it down and the blower wheel spins off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you
Yes your welcome.