Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

our microwave randomly shuts down right after we start it and

Customer Question

our microwave randomly shuts down right after we start it and we get ******* which I understand is a power failure. It will happen everytime and then the next day it will be fine. What do you think is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
this just means something is drawing to much power sometimes causing the board to power down. It's very difficult to determine which part is drawing too much power but it's generally the magnetron or transformer. It's probably best to call a technician to trouble shoot this type of issue since microwaves are very unsafe and hold a charge of 3000 volts even when unplugged, which is enough to kill you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much does a magnetron or transformer cost? Am I better off just buying a new one? It is only 3 or 4 years old.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
it's hard to say if you're better off. Magnetrons are generally warrantied for 5 years. Transformers are usually about $100. It might be worth having someone come out and look to see what they find. If it's a magnetron it will be under warranty yet and won't cost you anything but the trip charge.