Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Hello- My GE refrigerator Model GSL22WGPJ BS is only cooling

Hello- My GE refrigerator Model GSL22WGPJ BS is only cooling to 60 degrees. The freezer side is working fine. I am wondering if it could need freon but I am also thinking if that was the case the freezer side would not work either.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
open the freezer door and push in on teh light switch and tell me if the fan start blowing inside the freezer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like the fan or something is running prior to me pressing the light switch and that does not change after I press it. Yes you have a real piece of work here..."the fan or something"
holding in on the light switch hold your hand in the far back by the vents and see if you feel air coming in
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes feels like a lite breeze
is there any frost on the inside back wall in the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes a little on the lower half of the freezer. by a little I mean like frost on your windshield, not snow.

behind the panel then is full of frost and it cant get the cool air to the fridge side

you have a defrost problem and thats why its not cooling ,,, defrost the freezer, remove the inside back panel and defrost the rest and then replace the defrost heater and defrost thermostat and the part numbers are:
defrost heater ,, part number WR51X10055 ,, $37.49
defrost therm ,, part number WR50X10069 ,, $11.99
you you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you or online at www3.sears.com
they are #230 and #240 in this picture / thanks Larry
graphic
View Full Image
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
i will be offline for a while to take my insulin and rest up so if you need more infomation please ask now or i will be back later / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Larry, I thin I jacked this up I did not realize I could reply here. I sent you another request. I am wondering if the whistling sound that we hear coming from the freezer could be caused by this or could it be something else. I realize you may not be available right now but could you please get back to me on this. The whistling is not continuous very spartatic to be honest but annoying.
i saw the other post and i will close it for you ,,, and yes it can cause the whistling noise / thanks