Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

oven door lock wont open

Customer Question

oven door lock won't open
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 7 years ago.
You need to replace the door lock.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can't open the door to take the door lock apart
Slide a piece of card board between the door and the oven on the right. Then slide the card board to the left. The latch is just held over with a spring so it will unlock for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'll give it a whirl....
Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no way that you can slide a piece of cardboard inbetween the oven door and the body of the oven.. too tight as the door lock is engaged....
Try a vanilla envolope then. This door locks tighter then most.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i used the card board from a cereal box.. no room on this model# XXXXX
Ok the card board just has to slide between the door and the frame not into the oven because you will hit the door seal. Just 1 inch down.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm really startin to like the look of the 2 robertson screw heads that are staring at me that obviously hold that mechanism in place...between the door and the frame... i can see the latch that is holding it closed i have pryed on it with all of my 380lbs... i'm quite sure a piece of card board won't release said springs
Ok the latch needs to go to the left to release it. Is that the way you wer pulling on it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes , i can see exaclty how it latchesand have pushed from the oposite direction... no luck... hence unplugging the stove thinking that it might be charged
Can you get to the screws holding the glass top down. There is one in each corner. Then you could lift up the top.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'll ahve a look and let you know
Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

fridge guy... there are 2 ofset screw head facing out between the door and below the cooking top... remove the right screw and loosen the left screw..... slide the whole latch assembly to left... on inspection there is absolutely no possible way of inserting a piece of card board to relieve spring tension as there are none... latch is probably on a solenoid ... thanks for your time and input

Snyd

The lock is on a motor. But most are spring loaded.