John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I recently had a company come in to repair my fridge. Neither

Customer Question

I recently had a company come in to repair my fridge. Neither the fridge nor freezer side was working. The defrost area was frozen solid. The guy defrosted the block of ice and supposedly replaced the defrost element and defrost thermostat.

Since the repair, we have had a build-up of frost, icicles and melting/refreezing ice cubes turning into a block of ice. Also, the crusher moter won't turn and I think it's frozen bcause I can't turn it manually, but can hear it buzz if I ask for cubes.

When the freezer runs for a while, the temp goes down to -10. Obviously, it must be going up at some point in order for the thaw/refreeze to occur.

Could the tech have replaced the element or thermostsat with the wrong parts? Would that cause this symptom? Seems to me that the defrost cycle is just running too long. Is it possible that the guy damaged some other part while he was repairing the stat/element?

I would rather replace any parts that might cause the issue in one shot since I don't have
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Its possible that the defrost thermostat was replaced with a higher temp than what was in there. Look at the number on the defrost thermostat like a L 55

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I probably won't be able to get the # XXXXX of the 'stat till the weekend. I will post it as soon as I look at the part.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Thats fine talk then.