Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have a Panasonic microwave/convection oven ,model NN-C980B/NN-C980W. The

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic microwave/convection oven ,model NN-C980B/NN-C980W.
The fan has become very noisy and it has been suggested it should be replaced.
How do I remove the beast from its housing ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Hello I am here to assist you. First, what fan are you talking abut removing? The one in the top of the microwave or the one for the microwave behind the control panel? Also, may I ask why it needs replacing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Randy;

As you look into the microwave ,on the right , there is a small grilled area with a light

and just above and towards the back there appears to be a fan . At least that is where the noise is coming from. Why do we want to replace the fan ? Because we have gone however many years it is since we bought this appliance with relative quiet and

my wife says she can't live with the present noise level . I tried putting the vacuum hose

to the face of the grill . The fan was quiet for about ten seconds then reverted to its

previous noise level. Also we were referred to an outfit by the local Panasonic small appliance distributers . They said (a phone conversation ) that it probably was a fault

with the fan ." Bring it in and we will put in a new one."

bcf

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I am not second guessing you but the most common problem I find with the noise of the convection function of the micro/convection is actually the belt for the fan. What happens is throughout the years the rubber belt stretches and when it runs it flops and hits the metal that make a bad noise. Now the fan you are talking about is held on by a nut. If you decide to replace it you need to hold the fan blades while you loosen the nut. To get to the belt you will need to remove the screws off of the back of the microwave. Then with a little uummpphh pull back and up a little to take the cover off. I am going to send you a link to a diagram that shows the convection area. The belt I am talking about is #39. Hope this helps and le me know how it goes.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=NN-C980B&productC ategoryId=0123245&brandId=0789&modelName=MICROWAVE/CONVECTION-OVEN&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=OVEN%20AND%20CABINET%20PARTS&documentId=50019893&blt=06

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you , but I am still left with wanting an answer to my original question which

was "How do I get the microwave out from its housing ?"

It is built in above our main oven . I was told one lifted up the front and it should pull out.

This I have tried without success. It lifts up easily enough but I cannot move it forward How much force should be required ?

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Oay, sory I misunderstood you. Yes you should be able to pull forward. However sometimes it takes a little extra uummppff. Also,sometimes the base is held in by screws. Make sure the microwave is not screwed into the base. You should be able to look at the bottom of the microwave to see if it is bolted in. Lastly, sometimes, you need to disconnect the white power plugs that are between the microwave and oven to allow you to pull it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried the little extra ummmph and taken a closer look at things.

It would appear the moulding around , or at least at the bottom , must come off

because one can't lift the oven high enough to allow the rubber feet to pass over

the moulding . I would expect this to be clipped on somehow , as I see no evidence of screws , but suspect a probable very simple operation for one experienced is a major challenge to the uninitiated. It can't be a question of brute force , surely?