Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Gas Stove at least 20 years old Model 362.7352593

I have a Kenmore Gas Stove at least 20 years old Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN The oven is not warming up. When I turn it on, the light goes one but I do not hear the gas engage nor do I smell gas. The burners light just fine. Stove has been working fine and then it just stopped yesterday. Is it worth bringing a technician out? What shoudl I look for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
generally it means that your igniter is getting weak and not pulling enough power to open the safety gas valve. The igniter can still glow and be bad. It must draw at least 3.2 amps before it will open the safety gas valve. Most igniters only last about 10 years. Here is a link to the part you will need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can it simply just work one day and then not the next? What do you mean by glow? I don't see any glowing anywhere except the oven heating light that stays on until the oven is hot enough. Otherwise there is no activity in the oven section.

Also where on the stove is the igniter and how does one go about replacing it? Is there an online manual somewhere that can talk us step by step through on how to replace it? When it comes to gas appliances, I want to be extra sure we are doing things correctly. Or do you recommend we have someone professionally replace it?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
Yes it can work one day and stop the next. It may not glow, if it does that just doesn't mean it's good. It's located under the floor in your oven. Remove all the racks and then remove the floor to access and replace the igniter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Silly question I know, but I assume unplug and turn off gas? :-)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do you recommend this is something we can do ourselves? My husband is not exactly technically savvy. I am more so but am always nervous when it comes to gas appliances. From a safety standpoint, is this easy to hard to really mess up?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
yes you can do this yourself. You do not need to turn the gas off, but you will need to unplug the unit first. It's very easy to fix and can't really be messed up. The igniter is held onto a bracket by 2 screws. Remove the screws and disconnect the wires to the igniter, then install the new one.